We have some great news today – a high number of our families have been moving into transitional housing from shelters or shared housing. This is definitely a reason to celebrate!
Along with these great successes, First Place currently has a great need for household items to help these families turn an empty apartment into their home. We are looking for new and gently used household items.
If you’ve been spring cleaning, some of these items may be in your donate pile:
- Kitchen items such as: plates, bowls, silverware, mugs, pots & pans, baking pans, colanders, cutting boards, serving utensils—and anything you find is essential in the kitchen!
- Dish towels, bath towels, washcloths and laundry detergent
- Pillows, comforters, blankets and sheet sets
- Lamps with lightbulbs
- Plastic Hangers
We currently are not able to accept furniture donations to pass on to families. We would like to encourage donation of gift certificates to places parents can purchase furniture and other household items. Gift certificates starting at $50 for these stores are greatly appreciated: Goodwill, Ikea, Value village, Target, JC Penney, and Fred Meyer.
More helpful ideas:
- Purchase some of these items on Amazon.com and have them shipped directly to First Place. When you use the Amazon School Rewards link here, a percentage of your order is donated back to First Place.
- Forward this blog to your friends and neighbors, or post it in your office break room.
- Donate the proceeds of your spring garage sale to First Place.
- Link to this blog from your Facebook page. Challenge your friends to get involved.
- Ask your work department to each pick something off this list to donate.